No Registration

You must register your vehicle in Nevada if you classify as a ‘resident’ (criteria outlined below) or if you are not a resident but meet certain conditional requirements. The initial fine for a ticket for failing to register your motor vehicle in Nevada is typically around one-thousand ($1,000) dollars. It is imperative that you make sure your vehicle is registered in compliance with Nevada law – otherwise you might find yourself with an inconvenient ticket and a hefty fine.


Nevada Revised Statutes 482.103 “Resident” defined.

  1. 1. “Resident” includes, but is not limited to, a person:
  2. 1. Whose legal residence is in the State of Nevad
  3. 2. Who engages in intrastate business and operates in such a business any motor vehicle, trailer or semi trailer, or any person maintaining such vehicles in this state, as the home state of such vehicles.
  4. 3. Who physically resides in this state and engages in a trade, profession, occupation or accepts gainful employment in this state.
  5. 4. Who declares himself to be a resident of this state to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this state.
  6. 2. The term does not include a person who is an actual tourist, an out-of-state student, a foreign exchange student, a border state employee or a seasonal resident.



Certain non-residents also must register their vehicles in Nevada. You must register your vehicle in

Nevada if…

– Your vehicle is operated in Nevada for more than thirty (30) days in a calendar year;

– You engage in a trade, profession or occupation or accept gainful employment in Nevada;

– You enroll your children in a public school in Nevada;

– You furnish a vehicle to a Nevada resident for continuous use here.



There are some exemptions. You are not required to register your vehicle here if:

– You are on active duty in the military service of the United States;

– You are an out-of-state student;

– You are a registered student at a college or university located outside Nevada and in the state (for a period of not more than 6 months) to participate in a work-study program for which you earn academic credits from the college or university;

– You are a migrant or seasonal farm worker;

– You are a border state employee (and you commute into Nevada for employment within 35 miles of the border).


You do not have to maintain a registration or liability insurance if your vehicle is in storage or otherwise not being driven on public streets. You must surrender the license plates of your motor vehicle if you drop the liability insurance for any reason.


Caught driving without registration? Las Vegas Traffic Tickets can help YOU fight your ticket with an 80%+ success rate!

Call For a Free Quote Today! 1 702 425 2265